Pages

Saturday 15 December 2007

Google Encyclopedia

Hi,
Let me be very honest and forthcoming as I can be. I am an ardent fanatic of Google for all these years (Honestly, I do not know how many). But taking on Wikipedia is a little too much. I am not saying that Google's concept of the web encyclopedia should be trushed because Wikipedia is an indestructible fortress but what I am saying is this..

Firstly, I will admit that I am a man of open source and freeware. I think of Wikipedia as being in the same vein of open source though not directly because, Wikipedia in a way allows us to alter its "source code" i.e. change facts on the encyclopedia when they are "not facts".

Here now comes my verdict;
By creating the web encyclopedia ( they have chrsitened it "knol" ), the are really beginning to bite more than they can chew. As we all know well that if you bite more than you can chew, two things are most likely to happen; you may get choked or you may puke.
We will stick to the puking part here. We know that when you start puking, you do not stop until you have puked all that you have eaten in the first place.

I am not saying that this project is a sham and will result in failure but I am saying that Google is simply taking on too much. Wikipedia is just as good enough. Why take on extra work load.
Anyway, as they as, let's wait and see.

No comments: